Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fort Ticonderoga


What am I not really interested in?  Well, forts and canons and soldiers and all that military stuff.  But I have two boys who tend to find testosterone driven things quite intriguing.  Hence a little field trip to Fort Ticonderoga in New York State.  I believe I went there as a child, but it only left a vague impression on me, apparently, even though it IS a pretty cool place...the same goes for it this time.  I'm not really a girly-girl, Anne Of Green Gables aside, and no way am I clamouring to visit only ultra feminine attractions,  but there's only so many muskets, powder horns and battle scene dioramas I can look at before I tune out.  Silly that I intensely love history, yet military matters tend to bore me or perhaps I am more comfortable ignoring them for one reason or another, despite being a terribly important piece of the past.  I know which war was when, and what they meant, and where they were fought and yadda yadda yadda, but have little interest in breaking down the strategy or dissecting the whole event.  The very idea of war leaves me cold and I'd rather disassociate from the idea, I guess.  But the kids really enjoyed the place, and watching them enjoy something makes me enjoy it too.  Funny how that works.  Next thing you know I'll be obsessed with matchbox cars.


No comments:

Post a Comment