Thursday, June 26, 2014

Don't Move!


A friend of mine, who teaches amazing art classes out of her home studio, hired me to sit for her last portrait session.  I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle not moving (at all, including my eyes staying focused on the same point even!) for several hours, but I gave it my best shot.  With the six women's lively conversation and good music, time passed pretty quickly.  And I was allowed a couple of breaks after they taped my outline on the chair I was sitting in, so I could more easily get back into position.  It was really intriguing to see how different people who don't know me, but all accomplished artists, perceive me.  I had a range of personalities in each piece, from scared, to demure, to sassy, to proud, as in this one.  Although somewhat strange and initially uncomfortable to have a circle of people staring at you and picking apart your facial features to better capture your likeness, I understand more and more lately, what's on the inside shows up on the outside and the actual physical make-up of your face should be the least of your cares.    

No comments:

Post a Comment